Skip to content

Help shape the future of Box

Welcome to Box Pulse, our product feedback tool powered by UserVoice. Got an idea for how to improve Box? Share it with us and gather support or vote on other people's ideas. Your feedback is essential to informing roadmap decisions and shaping the future of our products. Thanks for joining our community!

See user guide here.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

68 results found

1. Improve the use of Variable Strings in the JAVA SDK

For customers who are leveraging an API gateway using Java SDK version 3.2.1 some URL prefix text strings are not dynamically adjusted.

For example, when customers are downloading the file representation in it tries to call directly the box API URL like the following URL:

https://api.box.com/2.0/internal_files/123/versions/345/representations/

Some customers may be leveraging a customer specific gateway, so they need to be able to dynamically change the URL where https://api.box.com/ is replaced with the gateway prefix like all the other calls:

{{CUSTOMERGATEWAY}} /internalfiles/123/versions/345/representations/jpgthumb32x32

There are a number of places where the prefix was not dynamic.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Bulk API support

It would be great if we have a bulk API option. I would like to pass in the list of entity ids(could be files, folders users etc) and get back the results. This will reduce the number of api calls we do to get all the information.

We try to manage client's storage accounts and the main problem is with rate limiting for a large clients.

Implementation can vary, either limit the response size or provide an ack id and developers can poll for the id and get the data back once the api is ready to spit out the…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for the suggestion. This is an interesting idea but not one we currently have on the roadmap. In the mean time, you can apply techniques such as caching (i.e. fetch what you need once for a session and keep it in local storage) to reduce round-trips, and the use the ?fields query string parameter to request only the minimal set of fields you need, which can reduce API response times.

3. Add ability to get a user's collaborations via API

Since there is a function to get a list of invitations to the group, I want to provide the same to the users.
    Like,
    https://api.box.com/2.0/users/:user_id/collaborations

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We don’t currently plan to provide such an API, however please leave a comment if you have more information about how this would be used. In the interim, you can identify all of a user’s collaborations by requesting items in the user’s root folder (id = 0) and filtering out those where the owned_by user is the current user. This would require an additional API call for each item to get the collaboration id, but if you are only interested in knowing which items re collaborated versus owned by the user, it may be sufficient for your purposes.

4. Make API rate limits more sophisticated, especially for large enterprises

When working with a Box Enterprise that has tens of thousands of users, scripts designed to do things like user information syncing, group syncing, or user provisioning/deprovisioning often run into real issues with the Box API rate limits.

Some calls (e.g. downloading or uploading a file) are clearly significantly more resource-intensive than others (e.g. getting a user’s aliases). The method Google has implemented for the Gmail API (see https://developers.google.com/gmail/api/v1/reference/quota) seems like a really great way to balance the need to protect the back-end systems against the need for increased performance for less-intensive calls. It would be nice if Box…

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add Linux installer packages for Box CLI

Testing out the Box CLI and request official Linux support for Ubuntu or RHEL. Would like an easy install via apt-get or Yum.

101 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

At this point we have no plans to create powershell specific SDK. However, the Box Command Line utility can be called from within powershell which may be of help. https://developer.box.com/guides/tooling/sdks/cli/

Furthermore there is some good (if a bit dated) information on how to use the Windows SDK from within Powershell here: https://community.box.com/t5/Platform-and-Development-Forum/Automating-box-processes-using-powershell-and-the-box-windows/m-p/50342

7. File-level Collaboration Webhook

I'd like to create a file-level webhook so that I can take action when a file's collaboration(s) have changed, but unfortunately there is currently no webhook trigger for collaborations on a file. Please add support for COLLABORATION.* webhook triggers on file objects.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion! We don’t currently plan to add a Webhook event for file-level collaboration events, but if anything changes we will update this suggestion. If you have specific use cases to share, please add them as comments to this suggestion.

8. Box CLI - need more output options for folders:items.

Specific to "box folders:items" but probably other commands as well:

1) If I'm asking for --csv, AND specifying the fields via --fields=, I don't need a header telling me the fields I just requested. I'd like an option to disable the header, or default disable it and make me add it back.

2) If I'm asking for specific fields as --csv, give me just those fields. If I'm asking for --fields=id I don't want it served back to me as "folder,#", I don't want to know it's a folder. If I later do something against that ID that is not…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide read-only scope for user information

I'd like to provide our central identity management team a way to tell whether or not a given Box user has a > 0 byte usage before they delete the user's account (for example, as someone leaves our organization). I'd like to give them read-only API access to https://api.box.com/2.0/users, without giving them any additional access. Support tells me that this isn't currently possible. It'd be nice if it was--this could be useful for a number of other uses, too, such as reporting.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Custom notifications using Box API

Using Box API there is no way to create custom user notifications. It might be helpful to send some information to the customer that some documents have been moved, imported, etc. A user can monitor the folder but this would be a valuable extension for the API for platform developers.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, this is a great suggestion but not one that is currently on our roadmap. In the mean time, you can consider using Webhooks to get relevant events and make use of a simple transactional email/sms API such as those provided by Twilio/Sendgrid or Amazon SES to send notifications based on those events.

12. Allow Enterprise Event API Endpoint to access 7yrs worth of data to match the activity reports provided by the web app

Enterprise Events API endpoint only allows retrieval of events up to one year back. Activity reports in Box go back 7 yrs. Events contain a lot more useful data than activity reports so the request is to match the retention period between the two so the same amount of data can be collected via the API or web application.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. API to sync folders for users.

If we could sync folders directly through our internal web app it would cut several steps out of user workflows. I would love to put a sync slider next to the job line so they could sync directly from this screen.

Specifically, I am talking about leveraging the tools via APIs. So having an API we could leverage to sync folders down for users.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This request cannot practically be implemented as an API. A client needs to control the state of local items on an endpoint such as a user’s computer, much like the Box Drive or Box Mobile clients do today. The only planned supported means for such synchronization capabilities are the Box Drive and Mobile clients.

14. Make license type info available via API

We'd like to get the license type info (free or paid) when getting the below log by API.

• eventtype:COLLABORATIONINVITE
    • event_type:SHARE

Account Type: Unmanaged User / Managed User, etc
    User TypeL Lite (10GB) / Enterprise (Yearly), etc

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add length of field to API documentation

It would be nice to explicitly mention the length of some of the fields. In our enterprise account all the users had 10-digit UIDs, so I thought that was the standard length, but we had some users with preexisting lite accounts rolled in and a few of them had 8-digit or 9-digit UIDs. I see now that the example UID provided had 9 digits, so my bad there, but I initially just looked at the 'id' attribute under 'user object' to try and find the length and it would be nice I think to have something like 'id / string…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. We generally don’t provide lengths for fields unless there is a concious decision to define a specific length or range as a contract. Given that the type of field for user id is a string, the fact that user id values ranged from 8-10 digits is an implementation detail, not a guarantee.

16. Improve CORS whitelist wildcard support

I would love to be able to use wildcards in CORS with a little more specificity. In particular, for review apps on Heroku, you will have a url that is auto-generated for each pull request, so something like http://my-app-dev-pr-523.herokuapp.com. I would like to be able to add http://my-app-dev-pr*.herokuapp.com to the CORS list but it currently flags that is an improper URL so I have to do the much more broad (less secure) http://*.herokuapp.com

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Rollback option when db crash

After creating folder or uploading files into box there will be chance of occuring backend database crash or lose connection between datasource . In this case we should roll back our transaction(like revert folder creation or file upload).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Many actions in both are idemptotent and can be safely retried. For those which are not, it is the responsibility of a client to implement transaction guarantees if required. There are common patterns for this such as the two-phase commit and SAGA pattern. If there is more information for a specific capability that is required to faciliate these, please add that to the comments.

18. Ability to add a message when we invite collaborators via Create Collaboration API

This can be done on webapp (message field). We want to do this through API

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Surface either EID or user_type when requesting collaboration object

Currently, requesting a collaborationobject does not surface either EID or usertype. (as seen in https://developer.box.com/v2.0/reference#get-collabs)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This request is not currently on our roadmap but we’ll update this request if that changes. In the mean time, you can use a subsequent request to get the user information and specify the enterprise in the `fields` query string parameter.

20. Allow external conversion engines for proprietary formats

We receive various proprietary formats that can only be converted by the original manufacturers. We want the platform to configure external conversion providers which would then be able to convert the formats to neutral Box formats such as PDF or MP4. This will create new integration opportunities for providers such as Autodesk, Adobe, CCTV providers.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base